Stove top cooking ignites fire

January 12, 2001
Santa Paula News

Stove top cooking near a roll of paper towels caused a fire that twice required a response from the Santa Paula Fire Department on Wednesday, according to an SPFD official.

By Peggy KellySanta Paula TimesStove top cooking near a roll of paper towels caused a fire that twice required a response from the Santa Paula Fire Department on Wednesday, according to an SPFD official.A kitchen fire was reported at 2:16 p.m. on Jan. 10, and firefighters responded to a single family residence located at 438 N. Mill St., according to SPFD Eng. Jerry Byrum.Upon the arrival of firefighters, it was found that the fire had started next to the kitchen stove when a roll of paper towels near a burner ignited; the fire spread to a hanging towel and then to the window curtains. The curtains ignited, burned and then dropped onto the counter top. The fire continued to spread on the other side of the kitchen sink before the resident, Lynn Johnson, discovered the blaze and summoned firefighters.
Santa Paula Fire Department personnel arrived within minutes on scene and were able to knock down the fire in about five minutes. They stayed at the residence for about an hour, said Eng. Byrum.About four hours later, at 6:05 p.m., another emergency call to the same address was received; when firefighters arrived on scene they discovered that the fire had reignited behind the dishwasher and counter area and was smoldering; it was quickly knocked down by firefighters.Overall damage was estimated at $4,500 to the structure and $500 to the contents, said Eng. Byrum. The house is valued at about $275,000 and the contents at approximately $125,000, he added. “It was a big save any way you look at it.”



Site Search

Tel: 805 525-6048  marydeines@roadrunner.com
E-Subscribe

Subscribe

E-SUBSCRIBE
Call 805 525 1890 to receive the entire paper early. $50.00 for one year.

webmaster