SPPD: Pursuit leads to man sustaining injuries from barbed-wire fences, K-9

February 19, 2010
Santa Paula Police Department

A local man being served with an arrest warrant wound up injured after he climbed over two barbed-wire fences during a foot pursuit and tangled with a Santa Paula Police K-9.

According to SPPD Sgt. Ryan Smith, the incident occurred Monday, February 15, at approximately 9:30 a.m.

Officers “responded to the Santa Paula Motel,” located in the 1400 block of East of Main St., said Smith, “for the purpose of serving an arrest warrant on Mario Hernandez,” a 26-year-old resident of Santa Paula.

Hernandez, said Smith, had two warrants related to the use of illegal drugs.

As officers were at the location, “Hernandez was observed fleeing on foot,” running west on Main Street, and then cutting through several industrial properties as he was pursued by officers.

Smith said “At one point, Hernandez turned towards officers, reached into the front of his waistband and removed a silver colored object, holding it in his hand,” an item later found to be a cell phone.

Officers continued the chase as Hernandez climbed over two barbed-wire fences and continued to run. 

“Hernandez refused to comply with officers’ orders to stop, and at one point,” Smith said the fleeing man struck a patrol vehicle, bending the exterior mirror. 

SPPD Officer John Coffelt and his K-9 partner Jack located Hernandez in an industrial lot and when the officer ordered Hernandez to stop fleeing, he refused to comply with the order.

K-9 Jack was used to “apprehend Hernandez,” who was arrested without further incident. 

Hernandez sustained “minor injuries” as a result of the arrest and Smith said he was found to have also injured himself as a result of scrambling over the barbed-wire fences. 

“When he jumped the barbed-wire fence he slashed his hands,” and Smith said Hernandez also received “a small injury on the back of the leg where the K-9 got him.”

Hernandez was treated at the scene by Santa Paula Fire EMTs and A.M.R. Ambulance personnel, and transported to Santa Paula Hospital where he was treated and released. 

Hernandez was lodged at the Ventura County Jail for the warrants and an added charge of suspicion of resisting, obstructing or delaying a police officer. 

Smith said bail for Hernandez was set at $10,000, pending a court appearance.


Site Search



Call 805 525 1890 to receive the entire paper early. $50.00 for one year.