“Ask George”

June 25, 2008
Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions
By George Valverde, Director California Department of Motor VehiclesDo you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration or insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. “Save Time, Go Online,” at www.dmv.ca.gov. Now, readers can submit any DMV-related questions to askdmv@dmv.ca.gov! Q: I just moved to California from Montana and need to transfer my vehicle registration and apply to get a California driver license. What are the steps for getting this done? A: The DMV website, www.DMV.ca.gov has a “New to California” page for situations just like yours. To locate it, click on the Driver License tab, then click the New to California link. This page contains the necessary information and forms to transfer your out-of-state registration, obtain a California driver license, find DMV field office locations and even a link to the California Driver Handbook. Remember to save time and make an appointment online when visiting a DMV field office by clicking the Online Service tab. Q: I would like to get a commercial license and need to take the commercial test. Do I go to a regular field office or are there special offices for this type of testing? A: To obtain a commercial driver license, you would need to visit a Commercial Test Center for your behind-the-wheel exam. (You may start a commercial license application and take the law tests at any DMV office.) To locate one of these offices, visit www.DMV.ca.gov and click on the Offices tab and then click Commercial Driving Test Offices.
Q: My insurance agent recently brought to my attention that I had a traffic violation on my record that was cited incorrectly. Can I get this corrected? How do I go about doing this? A: You can absolutely get this corrected. By visiting www.DMV.ca.gov, you will find a form called the Driver License Record Correction Request. You can obtain this form by clicking on the Forms tab on the homepage and then clicking Driver License Forms beneath the tab. Fill the form out completely and accurately and mail to the address on the form to request a correction on a traffic violation. Please allow 4-6 weeks from date of submission for the DMV to review and respond to your request. If you have any questions please call (916) 657-6525. Q: I am six months pregnant and have a hard time walking long distances. Am I eligible for a handicap placard?A: You will have to consult with your physician to determine your eligibility, but you may apply for a disabled person placard. The form can be found online on the DMV Web site at www.DMV.ca.gov by clicking on the Forms tab then clicking Commonly Used Forms beneath the tab. The Application for Disabled Person Placard or Plates must be filled out completely and correctly by you and your licensed physician to certify that you are eligible for a disabled person placard and mailed to the address on the form. Simply done thanks to www.DMV.ca.gov!

Site Search



Call 805 525 1890 to receive the entire paper early. $50.00 for one year.